Thursday, December 31, 2009

Called by a New Name

As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, He came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to Him. She had a sister called Mary who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what He said. Luke 10:38-39 NIV

Did you notice that Martha was named Martha, but Mary was called Mary? As you know, names were very significant in Jewish culture. They represented the person’s character. Now, this is just speculation, but it sounds like Mary’s name may have been changed to something more fitting than the name she was given at birth. According to the New Testament Greek Lexicon, Mary means “their rebellion.” The Hebrew word that is often translated “rebel” is marah. What if she was renamed Mary because she was rebellious? When I think of Mary of Bethany, I never think of someone who was rebellious. I think of someone who was passionate and someone who loved Jesus, but not of someone who was rebellious. It looks like time spent with Jesus changed her.

Time spent with Jesus always transforms us. Think back for a minute. What might you have been called before you met Jesus? Maybe rebellious would describe you. I know it describes me. Were you restless? Were you in bondage? And what might you be called today? Without a doubt, God has brought about some positive changes in your life. Will you just take a little time to thank Him for that? Now, what would you like to be called? If it is in keeping with God’s character and His design for your life, He is already moving you closer to that desire. Will you be willing, like Mary, to spend time learning at Jesus’ feet? Will you gaze up into His eyes and get to know Him? When your life falls apart, will you fall at His feet and present your questions to Him? Will you take what is precious to you and pour it out on His feet? The more you know Jesus, the more you will love and obey Him. Jesus said in John 14:21, “Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him.” And His love will transform you into the person God created you to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment