Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Why Worry?

Scripture Reading: Matthew 6:25-34

Matthew 6:27 NLT “Can all your worries add a single moment to your life? Of course not.”

I love baseball. Specifically, I love the Yankees. I love to watch baseball, and sometimes I love to watch the Yankees. But at this time of year - during the playoffs, it can be pretty stressful. Sometimes, if the game is really important or really close, I can’t watch it. The first bad pitch from the Yankees’ starter causes me to yell, “Get him out of there or we’re all going to die!!”

Since I enjoy watching baseball, I watched the last World Series. The Yankees weren’t there, so it didn’t matter to me who won. When one of the pitchers walked the second batter in a row, I calmly wondered whether they would take him out of the game or leave him in and see if he improved. How nice it was to just enjoy watching my favorite game! After all, there was nothing I could do to change the outcome, so I might as well just enjoy it. Hmmm…come to think of it, there was nothing I could do to change the outcome of the Yankees’ game either. All my worrying didn’t get them to the World Series.

See why I love baseball? It’s like life. All our worrying doesn’t change anything but us, and that change isn’t for the better. When God tells us not to worry, it’s for our own good. After all, He already has everything under control.

No comments:

Post a Comment