Monday, April 20, 2009

He Knows You

O LORD, You have searched me and You know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; You perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; You are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue You know it completely, O LORD. Psalm 139:1-4 NIV

Is there someone whose thoughts you can almost read, whose sentences you can finish? If so, you’ve invested a lot of time in getting to know that person, haven’t you? You know God is omniscient, omnipotent and omnipresent, but have you ever considered He is also very personal? He loves you so much that He has taken the time to get to know you personally.

Remember when Mary Magdalene went to Jesus’ tomb and found He was gone? She stood at the tomb crying. She heard Jesus. She even saw Him. But she didn’t realize it was Jesus. John 2:15-16 says "Woman," he said, "why are you crying? Who is it you are looking for?" Thinking he was the gardener, she said, "Sir, if you have carried him away, tell me where you have put him, and I will get him."

But then He said her name. And that made all the difference.

Verse 17 says, “Jesus said to her, "Mary." She turned toward him and cried out in Aramaic, "Rabboni!" (which means Teacher).” Jesus had taken the time to get to know Mary Magdalene. When she heard Him say her name, it was a familiar sound.

Can you believe He has taken the time to get to know you too? Yes, God wants you to know Him, but He knows you!

Look at the first line of Psalm 139 again. He doesn’t just know you. He has searched you in order to know you. The word translated “search” means to search out, find out, examine; to see through. He is familiar with all your ways. According to the Hebrew dictionary, that means “to be in the habit; to get along well with.” The New American Standard Bible says He is intimately acquainted with all your ways. You’re not just a friend of God; you’re a close friend. And that makes you special!

No comments:

Post a Comment