Saturday, February 28, 2009

I Enjoy Being a Girl

My frame was not hidden from You when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, Your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in Your book before one of them came to be. Psalm 139:15-16

When I was born, my mother wanted a boy. She still mentions it occasionally. When we learned my daughter was having a girl, my mother asked if I thought that would be okay. We were all thrilled! My dad wanted a boy too. In fact, I don’t think he knows yet that he didn’t get one. He did say that when I was born and the nurse told him I was a girl, he asked her to go back and see if she could find a boy. My parents had one chance to have a boy and they had me instead. I think they got over it, for the most part, and they are pleased with God’s decision.

Knowing they wanted a boy could explain why I prefer baseball to ballet. It could explain why my best friends in high school and college were guys. They used to tell me they liked me because I didn’t act like a girl. I took it as a compliment since they said it was what they liked about me, but I’m glad I wasn’t born a boy. I love being a girl because I get to be the mom. And yet I know that in some ways I’ve never acted like most females.

God knew I would be a girl. He wanted a girl. He knew I would be born to parents who were hoping for a boy. He also knew that I would like some of the things boys like. Every bit of this was part of His plan for me.

Isn’t it comforting to know that God knew you before you were born? He had planned every day of your life before even one of them came to be. God knew everything, good or bad that would happen to you, and He has used every bit of it to shape you into the person He created you to be. God has a purpose for your life. Just relax, enjoy being you, and follow His plan. A wonderful adventure awaits you!

No comments:

Post a Comment